The Co-op School is a group of families who are deeply committed to participating in the creation of our child’s educational environment. We are creative, artistic and independent — from a wide range of diverse backgrounds, nationalities and we work in every sector imaginable in New York City. We share is a sense of community, brought together by a longing for our children to receive quality education at an accessible price, and a willingness to pitch in and participate in this journey.
The Co-op School is a parent-aided organization where “cooperative” means just that: student’s families are responsible for the development, fundraising and maintenance of the school. The Board of Directors is comprised of elected parents, and all parents share the responsibility of upholding the school’s guiding principles and our ultimate goal of blending community with education. Each parent joins a working committee, and guarantees putting in eight hours of work per school year. Participation of each family is critical for the effective operation of the school. The cooperative model also provides great benefit for the members thought the unique ownership and sense of belonging it builds. We believe these measures not only help keep the school affordable, but provide a more harmonious, neighborly community of staff, parents, and students.
Responsibilities for each family:
- Provide classroom snacks twice a year
- Participate in two 4-hour work shifts a year
- Participate in fundraising tasks set by the fundraising committee
- Attend an annual general membership meeting
- Have active listserv membership
- Serve actively on a work committee, for more information about our committees, please see below
The Co-op School Committees:
- Annual Appeal (Timing: Fall) – Each Year we reach out to our community to help us continue to grow. Proceeds from our Annual Appeal support emerging programming. If you are organized, detail oriented and have an appreciation for snail mail, this could be the job for you! Includes but is not limited to, monitoring address inputs from community, organizing and producing our Annual Winter Card, distributing tax donation forms.
- Author Visits (Timing: Fall & Spring sessions)– Help us celebrate and share community authors & illustrators in our Elementary School. This committee involves booking & managing the schedule for our visitors.
- Back to School Event (Timing: October)– Come throw a party to remember!- Manage and execute our Annual Back to School Party. Includes but is not limited to production for Music, Facility, Food & Drink preparations.
- Book Fair Event (Timing: June) In collaboration with the Communications, Facilities, Author Interviews and Creative Arts Exploration Committee, make our Friends & Family Book Fair the best yet! Bringing together great stories and community. * Both Irving & Brevoort host event.
- Classroom Parent (Timing: Throughout)– Get to know your class on a whole new level! Manage the classroom snack duty calendar, teacher wish lists & needs. Act as the classroom point person to the Administration & Committee Leads for School news.
- Comedy Night Event (Timing: March)– Laugh your way to one of our most popular Community Events- Comedy Night! Plan our event including but not limited to Food, Drink, Décor, Schedule, Set-Up and Clean-Up.
- Communications (Timing: Throughout)–Get involved with both internal & external communication about our school. Including, but not limited to the school website, social media, Edsby, public relations and marketing.
- Creative Arts (Timing: Throughout)– Help us celebrate and share community authors & illustrators with our Pre-School School. This committee involves booking & managing the schedule for our visitors in collaboration with the Irving Staff.
- Facilities (Timing: Throughout)– Do you like to keep things tidy and functional? Join our Facilities Committee! Including but not limited to basic building upkeep, Gardening (both campuses), Library (Brevoort), Materials Rooms (both campuses), Science Room and Pet Care. Establish and maintain our awesome resources throughout the year.
- Field Day Event (Timing: June)– Classroom tug-of-war and sack races are just the beginning of our Field Day! Includes but is not limited to, organizing, obtaining a permit, transport of games and snacks, and coordinating chaperones. *For upper grade 1-4 parents ONLY*
- Marathon Bake Sale Event (Timing: November)– Represent The Co-op School for the NYC Marathon! Plan and execute our Annual Bake Sale and feed those supporters!
- Movie Night Event (Timing: January)– From Inside Out to Frozen, come and warm up with us with a movie! Committee work includes but is not limited to, flyers, organization of movie screening, coordinating popcorn and snacks.
- Parent Education (Timing: Throughout)– Never stop learning! Organize and manage annual Parent Education sessions in collaboration with school administration and staff Professional Development curriculum.
- Pot Luck Event (Timing: November)– Celebrate community! Organize, manage and execute a delicious pot-luck event. Including but not limited to, flyers, organizing classroom items, set-up & clean-up.* Both Irving & Brevoort host event.
- Scholarship Gala Event (Timing: Winter/Spring)– Our biggest and best school event of the year! Proceeds from our Scholarship Gala support our diverse community through scholarships. Be a part of the action! From Sponsorship, Audio/Visual, Food & Drink and Auction- we need YOU to make this the best one ever!
- School Photo Days (Timing: Spring)– Say “Cheese!” Coordinate and manage our School Pictures with Stomping Ground. Including but not limited to, creating classroom schedule, managing children/classes – both for photo and re-take days.
- Drama (Timing: Spring)– Lights, Camera, Action! Play the part of supporting our Drama committee in their development of our Annual School Play(s). Including but not limited to, flyers, Set-up, Costuming, Audio, and Ticket Sales. Bravo!
- Music Events (Timing: Fall/Spring)– In collaboration with Yo Re Mi, coordinate and organize Music Dept Events including but not limited to Open-Mic-A-Thon, Chorus and Seasonal Sings. Create flyers, manage day-of event(s).
- Story Night Event (Timing: April)– Come and be a part of one of our most beloved events. Inspired by Moth, sign-up to execute a heart-wrenching, all inspiring event! Includes but not limited to, recruiting storytellers, coordinating Food & Drink, flyer creation and publicity, Set-up & Clean-Up.
- Sunset Soiree Event (Timing: Late July)- Beat the heat and meet new friends! Our annual Sunset Soiree needs you to help organize and coordinate this sizzlin’ event. Includes but is not limited to, organization and coordinating permit, table transport and food/drink.
- Technology (Timing: Throughout)–Help administer and enhance the technology platforms we have recently adopted to streamline our school’s operations and communication. Responsibilities include user management, FileMaker enhancements, website development, data review, and providing technology support to our teachers and parents.
- Valentines Day Dance Event (Timing: February)– Show your love by organizing and executing our Valentines Day Dance! Includes but is not limited to Décor, Activities, DJ/Music, Photo booth, Raffle, Food & Drink and Fun!