Thank you for your interest in working at The Co-op School! We are in search of committed educators interested in working in a fun, highly collaborative, creative, and rewarding community. As a progressive, independent school, our staff members help to develop the foundation for achieving our mission and vision and guide students in the dynamic, life-long process of questioning and deepening connections.
Benefits of Being a Part of The Co-op School Staff
- Play a role in building a school and contributing to its culture and curriculum.
- Work in a collaborative environment with two teachers in each classroom.
- Learn through ongoing professional development during our Summer Professional Development Week, weekly meetings with the Education Director, weekly planning sessions, Professional Development days 5 times a year, peer visitations, and off-site professional development workshops.
- Receive a competitive salary package.
- Once applications are submitted, they will be reviewed by one of the education directors and the executive director of the school. If a candidate meets our initial requirements, that person will be contacted to schedule a phone or in-person interview. We will ask questions such as:
- Why do you want to work at The Co-op School?
- How is your philosophy similar to the mission of The Co-op School?
- What does progressive education mean to you?
- How do you like to collaborate with your peers?
- What makes you qualified for this position?
- What strengths/unique skills do you think you can bring to the team?
- Candidates who appear to be a match with the school’s mission and vision will be invited to demonstrate their teaching practice through a demo lesson and debrief session. Final round candidates will receive an overview of the school and a school tour during their visit.
Elementary Classroom Co-head Teacher
The Co-op School is seeking committed educators to join our team as a classroom co-head teacher in an elementary school classroom.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree preferred
- 3 or more years of relevant teaching experience preferred
- New York State Teacher Certification (Early Childhood, Childhood, and/or Special Education) preferred
- Educational philosophy aligns with the mission and vision of The Co-op School
- Reflective practitioner in a state of constant professional growth and a willingness to share their craft with others
- Has own passions and interests
- Experience working with children with special needs, as some students have IEPs, special education degree preferred.
- Experience planning and teaching interdisciplinary units of studies
- Commitment to and knowledge of experiential and inquiry-based teaching and learning
- Commitment and a strong belief in the importance of diverse learning environments and teaching through an anti-bias lens
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience collaborating with children, families, colleagues, and administrators
- Collaborate with coaches, coordinators, and Education Director to provide high-quality, relevant instruction to all children
- Actively participate in a learning community, including teacher committees that meet on a monthly basis, peer observations, planning meetings, and staff meetings
- Use a variety of assessments to measure student learning and drive instruction
- Use student performance data to tailor and differentiate the curriculum to individual students and to determine small groupings and modifications
- Collaboratively plan interdisciplinary units of study
- Actively participate in the school’s decision-making process
- Regularly communicate with families, students, and community partners through phone, face-to-face conversation, email, list serves and blogs
- Integrate The Co-op School Values into classroom culture, units of study, and interactions with staff, families, and students
- Integrate the real world and surrounding community into units of study, lessons, and classroom culture
- Maintain positive relationships with students, families, and colleagues
- Maintain confidentiality with student information and records
- Create a positive and safe classroom culture and community
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to the Elementary School Education Director, Mandy Vadnai at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Classroom Teacher” in the subject line of the email. Your cover letter should include a statement of your educational philosophy and also state why you are interested in becoming part of the team. If you have questions about any of our positions, please feel free to email email@example.com.
Special Education Teacher Support Services Providers
The Co-op School is an inclusive learning community and thus we are always looking to help connect our families to quality Department of Education–approved SETTS providers. Currently, we need providers for five 60-minute sessions for a second-grade student, a third-grade student, and a fourth-grade student. Email our Special Education Coordinator, Jenna Vitale, at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested.
The Co-op School is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit. discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, creed, color, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, religion or religious practices, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, prior arrest or conviction record, genetic predisposition or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws. Our policy extends to all employment practices including but not limited to, hiring, transfer, promotion, training, compensation, benefits, lay-offs, and termination.